Keeping up with The Jones

Thursday, November 02, 2006

Deal or No Brains

Exuberant
Colorful
Spontaneous
Outlandish

I would love to know what the screening process for Deal or No Deal is like. They certainly find some interesting characters and it can make for riveting television. But there's one word I would add to the list that ties them all together.

Irrational

Absolutely, positively, 100% devoid of logic. Borderline insane. No understanding of probability or opportunity cost. Sometimes they say things that make my head want to explode. (My apologies if anyone reading has a family member who has been on the show).

Again, I understand that a mathematician coolly calculating his odds and simply maximizing his potential winnings would not make for a very entertaining TV show. And I don't doubt that the bright lights and cameras and crowds turn people a bit goofy. But just once I would love to hear a contestant offer up a decision based on something more substantial than, "I'm feeling number 24 Howie! Number 24! I've got a feeling!"

I've thought about trying to get on the show or maybe having my brother and his math degree go. But I'm pretty sure we couldn't fake the hysterics to make it past the cut.

4 Comments:

At 11/03/2006 11:01 AM, Blogger AaronG said...

You could just laugh -- that'd be enough to get you on the show.

And it's not as stupid as Jeopardy. Boy is that the dumbest show ever. Asking me answers to win money? C'mon. Form of a question? C'mon. Potent Potables? C'mon. Give me brief cases with emblazzened numbers and models.

Now if trebek shaved his head and got his ears pierced -- maybe....

 
At 11/03/2006 5:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

legendary laughter. for sure.

hey, did you know about this:
Keeping Up With the Joneses

 
At 11/03/2006 6:23 PM, Blogger jdjones said...

No! I most certainly was not informed! Where was my invite? The next time I see my cousins, there going to have to answer for this.

Oh and Sa ra, what happened to the i?

 
At 11/03/2006 6:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I heard about is this morning on NPR and immediately thought of you.

I didn't like the way it looked with my married name - that's all. Just aesthetics :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home