Keeping up with The Jones

Friday, November 03, 2006

Am I ready for some football?

I hope so.

Tomorrow there is a big tackle football game, the second in an ongoing series of games with the men and teens of our corps. The last game was several weeks ago, and it amazes me that in my teen years I would often play several such games per week. I don't have anywhere near that kind of recovery anymore. Don't get me wrong, I can still play. The risk of injury is just far more apparent to me than it ever was before.

But I still love football, above all others. Growing up, my dad taught me everything I know about sports. But the bias toward football was definitely there. I remember one time when I was quite young my dad and I played one on one hoops on a kiddie hoop in our basement. And my dad kept blocking all my shots! Goaltending, even! I'm not exaggerating when I tell you it took me about ten years to get into basketball after that. Football was different. My dad would teach me all kinds of pass patterns and audibles and let me beat him one on one at two hand touch. We even have a play we run to this day that we mapped out in my back yard when I was 8 or 9. I'd tell you what it is but we might have to use it to beat you someday.

Tomorrow should be fun. Our first game had great turn out, was hard fought, everyone had fun, and the old men showed the young guns they could beat them. Most importantly, it was a great chance for all our guys to bond, and church attendance has actually increased since that game. Most of the men have conflicts tomorrow, so I may be the lone old guy with the teens. In this regard I'll have to draw inspiration from my dad as well, who has routinely found himself as the oldest guy on the field over the last ten years. I can only hope to keep playing, and playing very well, as long as he has.

Just in case, say a prayer for us between noon and 3.

1 Comments:

At 11/04/2006 8:49 PM, Blogger Rocket Surgeon, Phd said...

I will pray for you...

One of my favorite sports memories was a magical pass and score you and I executed in indoor soccer.

We are one soul...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home