Keeping up with The Jones

Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Tape delay

I love the NBA’s annual slam dunk contest. I know some consider it outdated and boring, past the point of innovation and novelty. I don’t care; I look forward to it every year. Sure, some years offer less creativity, talent, and showmanship than others, but you still never know what these spectacular athletes will pull off. Despite the claims of some that it will never be as good as ‘Nique versus Jordan, it was just a few years ago that Vince Carter pulled off the greatest all around performance I’ve ever seen. And just last year Iguodala pulled off what might have been the most amazing dunk ever.

This year I had two problems. One, I was going to be away the Saturday the contest took place and might not be home in time to catch it. And two, I don’t have access to TNT, even if I made it home. So I asked Frannie to tape it for me. She’s one of the few people I know who still relies heavily on VHS, and she’s perhaps an even bigger NBA fan than I am, so I knew she wouldn’t miss it. Since Frannie doesn’t live near me, I just had to wait a while for the tape to arrive in the mail.

In the meantime, I was determined to avoid learning anything about what had transpired: who won, who flopped, what crazy dunks were busted out. First step, no sports internet sites. This was a bit of a sacrifice, but the beauty of the 24 hour sports news culture is that within a day or so it was all old news. Next step, no Monday sports recap shows (Horn, PTI). And finally, avoid the dreaded human element. This was a bit tricky, since I spend most afternoons with a bunch of teenage boys who thought it was hilarious to shout out the names of the contestants while acting out their dunks as I ran from the room.

By the end of the week I figured I was in the clear. The contest was ancient history in the sports world, even to my drop-in guys. Saturday, while I was hanging out with Pierre and Jackie, we went to her parents’ house. I love her dad because every time I walk in the door he has a game on. This time as I took my seat in the living room, I realized too late that the sports program he was watching was leading into a dunk contest recap. There was no escape. A week’s worth of dodging bullets and now all I could do was politely sit through ninety seconds of spoilers.

So congratulations Gerald Green, 2007 Dunk Champion. I still look forward to actually watching your victory.

2 Comments:

At 2/27/2007 4:44 PM, Blogger AaronG said...

Green's first two dunks were legendary. Nate Robinson...well, even though it's not like I could ruin it for you if I told you, I still won't tell you. dwight Howard was robbed. And think, if he had won, we'da seen this sick dunk. For your viewing pleasure For your viewing pleasure

Also, high comedy from the dunk contest. When howard did his first dunk, there was a message on it and it had the announcers wondering what it said. a quick close-up revealed a scripture verse (Phil 4:3 I believe). It was obvious to the viewer and I think, when it was obvious to the commentators what the message was, they decided to not comment on it AT ALL. Very funny for those of us watching at home.

And major props, again, to my boy Gerald Green.

 
At 2/28/2007 8:19 AM, Blogger Steve Carroll said...

hahahaha that is awsome. Did you tell the guys yet?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home