Keeping up with The Jones

Thursday, July 05, 2007

2007, Happy New Year!

This greeting courtesy of my friend Deanna, who last night mused that she wished the fireworks we were watching would spell that out. My sister and I gleefully snapped her out of her explosion watching stupor by reminding her what holiday we were actually celebrating. But aside from Happy Fourth of July and a misplaced Happy New Year, there is one other greeting I feel compelled to make:

Happy Birthday Radar

Yesterday was my dog’s twelfth birthday. That’s a number most dogs don’t reach, and an occasion worthy of retelling the tale of how I got a dog.

When I was eight years old, my brother and I decided that what we wanted most in all the world was a dog. We had never had a pet, but my parents seemed to agree that we were ready. That Christmas, the only thing on our wish list was a puppy. My mom had decided we would get a cocker spaniel, since they were small and a favorite of hers. We went to pet stores to find the right one. We told the Santa at the mall that we wanted a puppy. We told everyone that we wanted a puppy.

Christmas morning we came out of our room, and there was the collar and leash, right next to the food and water bowls. Then my parents told us to go into the next room. We ran in and there it was…..

A Commodore 64!!!

So we didn’t get our dog for another ten years. But that’s a tale for another time. I’m off to play Zaxxon.

,8,1

2 Comments:

At 7/05/2007 6:00 PM, Blogger Steve said...

,8,1 indeed.

 
At 7/06/2007 6:07 AM, Blogger AaronG said...

One time we caught Santa on video playing my Commodore 64. Pit Fall, I believe.

Wonder if Santa's happy about the smaller computers these days?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home