Keeping up with The Jones

Sunday, November 26, 2006

Happy Thanksgiving

I spent the last few days at one of my favorite places in all the world, my Aunt Betty’s house. Last year on my birthday I referred to it as a place where I’m pretty much always treated like it’s my birthday, but a similar contention could be made that it’s a very Thanksgivingy place: there’s always plenty of good food, hardly a waking hour goes by when a game isn’t being watched or (more likely) played, and you’re with people you care about. All these factors increase when it actually is Thanksgiving. For instance:

*Baked Goods Available*

Apple Squares
Pecan Pie
Pumpkin Pie
Tarheel Pie
Lemon cake
Chocolate Chip Cookies
Peanut Butter Pie
Banana Cream Pie
Chocolate Pie
Brownies (okay, these weren’t actually available till two days after Thanksgiving, but still)


*People I care about that I hadn’t seen in a while, how long it had been since I’d seen them, and how long it had been since I’d gone that long without seeing them*

Mom, Dad, Shannon – 2 months – um, that’s pretty standard actually
Steve Maxon – 3 months – at least 2 years
Frannie – 4 months – at least 3 years
Aunt Betty, Uncle Clark – 5 months – 3 years (I think)
Matt and Hilary – 6 months – I’ve only really known Hil a little over a year, so she can’t really count, but that is the longest I’ve gone in my entire life without seeing my brother. I know I’m blessed to be able to say that. And it was good to see everyone.


And all hail the Lord of Catan!

8 Comments:

At 11/27/2006 4:50 PM, Blogger Steve said...

Man...if I hadn't been popping ibuprofen like it was going out of style just to open my mouth, I would have sampled a LOT more of those baked goods.

 
At 11/27/2006 5:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you referring to Settlers of Catan?!?!?!? I loooooooove that game. We played it almost everyday we were in OOB this summer.

Glad your Thanksgiving was happy!

 
At 11/27/2006 9:27 PM, Blogger jdjones said...

As a matter of fact, I was refering to Settlers. My Aunt and Uncle love the game, as does pretty much everyone else I've introduced to it(except Shannon). We play it all the time at my Aunt's, and I don't want to brag, but I won. A lot.

So all hail the Lord of Catan!

 
At 11/28/2006 11:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't really love it until I won. Shannon will come around :)

 
At 11/28/2006 11:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No, Shannon will not come around, it's been a few years now, and I still just don't see the point, the only thing I like to do in that game is win longest road, so it's basically what I spend my time doing while everyone else is out for blood with cities, largest army, and development cards

 
At 11/28/2006 5:56 PM, Blogger AaronG said...

That game rocks! I've played in several times now and am discovering a phalanx of people also playing it. Apparently now it is even becoming more advanced, shipping lanes and airplanes and what not.

I prefer the original and it is an outstanding game.

And you, sir, are no lord of Catan.

Bring it.

 
At 11/30/2006 10:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

aarong has it right,you are no lord of Catan. One weekend of good rolls will not change that fact. I have seen you leave here on the verge of tears because you had won a mere one game in a weekend.

 
At 11/30/2006 6:02 PM, Blogger Steve Carroll said...

Does the game lend it self to cheating?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home