Keeping up with The Jones

Monday, November 27, 2006

Mom would be proud

I cleaned my bathroom today. It had been a while. We’re not talking gas station quality or anything, but it needed the cleaning. I just happen to have the unfortunate combination of not caring much about cleaning and not having many folks over who might care themselves. That’s about to change though, since starting Friday I’ll be having a guest for a few weeks, an intern from Project 117. The size (or more accurately, the lack thereof) of my apartment will be daunting enough, so I figured I should at least get the place cleaned up a bit.

This points to a big part of why I appreciate the idea of spiritual accountability. If we only ever answer to ourselves we can get comfortable in our own filth. Living right isn’t just about personal desire; I like the idea of a clean bathroom, but sometimes it’s easier to overlook the problem than address it. And accountability isn’t about doing something just to impress someone else. It’s about perspective. It’s too easy for us to become desensitized to our own surroundings, behavior and attitudes. Often it’s only when we take a step back and look at things from someone else’s perspective that we see the unfortunate consequences of our failure to hit on target.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home