Keeping up with The Jones

Saturday, November 04, 2006

Professor Zoom

It only took us a few weeks to go from 3 yards and a cloud of dust to the Arena Football League. We only had enough guys for 7 on 7 this time, as opposed to 10 on 10 last time, so there were just a lot fewer collisions. Whereas last time we played a game to 7 and almost killed ourselves, this time we played to 10 and still felt great so we kept playing to 15 (and still felt okay). Best of all, this enabled almost everyone to score (the only guy who didn’t actually led everyone in catches and first downs).

As for the title of the post, it’s a nickname one of the teens gave me last time we played and some of the guys were calling me today. It definitely cracks me up, but I doubt it will stick long. The only nickname I’ve ever had for a substantial time was Bob (and that was less a nickname and more a sustained bizarrely coincidental mass confusion).

Those who know me well know that I love the idea of nicknames. It’s a relational thing. It reflects a certain bond when you let someone call you something other than the name your own parents gave you. Actually, one thing we often focus on in the teen drop-in center is giving everyone nicknames to foster that sense of belonging.

Looking to the scriptures, we see this same relational significance in renaming. Abraham, Sarah, Israel. None were names from birth but each was given by the Lord himself as a sign of the relationships and encounters between them. They belonged to Him, and He had their backs. And I’ll confess, I’m a bit envious. I mean, how cool would it be to get a nickname from God?

6 Comments:

At 11/04/2006 10:12 PM, Blogger AaronG said...

Nice. Post. Bob! Bob! Bob! (His name is Josh) Oh. Bob!

Anyway, certainly wasn't the Lord Almighty calling me Slowspit -- which always, always makes for a funny story when I tell how I got my nickname. I always loved that name.

But good post...good idea. Though, professor zoom, hmmm...not so much.

 
At 11/05/2006 8:29 PM, Blogger jdjones said...

Although the Lord didn't directly give you the nickname Slowspit, he did give you slow spit and it was really just a matter of time before someone noticed. So indirectly, you'd have to say he had a hand in it.

 
At 11/05/2006 8:45 PM, Blogger Steve said...

Okay. Now this makes sense, because although I don't remember you telling many stories about an 'Aaron,' I do recall a 'Slowspit.'

 
At 11/05/2006 11:08 PM, Blogger jdjones said...

Maxon, you may remember Aaron (Slowspit) as the guy who made a brief appearance in our room one night sophmore year before he and I sojourned to Mass the next day.

 
At 11/06/2006 12:46 AM, Blogger Steve said...

Like I could keep track of all the folks you brought into our room...

 
At 11/06/2006 11:51 AM, Blogger AaronG said...

I remember that journey. By bus, car and I think I even walked some of it. All to play in a football game. That was devotion.

That was fun -- and I still hold the record I believe.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home