Keeping up with The Jones

Saturday, January 13, 2007

Those that can do

In a strange and unforeseen development, I’ve been getting several requests recently to teach people how to play guitar. Stranger still, these requests come from people who actually have heard me playing the guitar. But perhaps strangest of all, I’ve gotten a request to teach someone piano.

I really enjoy playing the guitar, despite my modest abilities. I consider it a gift; not in the sense that I consider myself gifted, but rather that I feel blessed to have this outlet of expression, particularly in worship. I play to make a joyful noise. And there’s also in some ways a sense of relief at having some small return on my mother’s years of investment in music lessons, to know that it wasn’t all wasted. Because while my guitar playing is quite basic, I can’t play the piano worth a lick.

I wish I could. I love the piano, more than the guitar, more than any other instrument. To sit down and have control over all that musical potential at my fingertips would be surreal. Every now and again I’ll sit down and hack through a hymn far more slowly than anyone could ever sing it (my old piano teacher used to say I had two speeds: slow and way too slow). I tell myself that someday I’ll commit to learning this beautiful instrument.

Despite all this, I have said yes to any and all requests for lessons, including the one for piano. My disclaimers of incompetence do nothing to dull the enthusiasm of the inquiring parties. I will do my best to pass on my limited knowledge of theory and technique. And above all I will pass on the same advice every instructor has given me, the one that matters most yet is rarely heeded:

Practice.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home