Keeping up with The Jones

Monday, December 04, 2006

A great day for football

I officially give up on this batch of Giants (particularly the coach). But yesterday was not a complete waste for football. I taught my teens the hook and ladder.

I remember when I was much younger, Kyle Townsend and I would take on our dads every year in a game of touch football. We were always psyched to try and beat them. They had been playing together for years, but we wanted to prove we could rival their connection. Each year as we got bigger and faster, our dads would dig deeper into their bag of tricks to beat us. The flea flicker, the halfback pass, the double pass; they pulled them all. But I will always remember the first time they pulled the hook and ladder. We were dumbfounded, and we were toast.

Yesterday was my turn to pass on some backyard wisdom. Even as the play was being executed for a length of the field touchdown, players on both teams were going nuts. For my money, it doesn’t get any better than that.

4 Comments:

At 12/05/2006 12:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Was it you, or your dad that taught Shannon the play

 
At 12/05/2006 1:54 PM, Blogger Steve Carroll said...

Kyle was always a big boy why did he use my approach and just spear your dad head first in the ribs. He usually took me down but we would have the run of the field for the next three downs while he sat out nursing his wound

 
At 12/05/2006 11:44 PM, Blogger Steve said...

Josh! Check out this story about a real-life Donnie!!

 
At 12/06/2006 10:11 AM, Blogger AaronG said...

Good to see you calling it the right thing: everyone I've heard lately has been calling it the hook 'n' ladderal (sp?).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home