Keeping up with The Jones

Thursday, November 30, 2006

Panic!

Last night I accidentally pushed the panic button on the key of the car I was getting ready to drive. It got me thinking, why do they even put these panic buttons on these things? Or car alarms at all for that matter?

Is any potential thief or assailant scared off by the noise? Has anyone ever had their person or property saved by someone running out to investigate the noise? The last time you heard a car alarm, did you call 911 to report a potential crime in progress?

The fact of the matter is these alarms long ago became the boy who cried wolf. The sound brings far more annoyance than concern. I remember in New Bedford we had a soldier whose car alarm seemingly went off every time she was at the corps, and she would walk towards the nearest wall pressing her button until the noise stopped. Never – not once – did she go outside to check if someone was messing with her car.

So the next time you’re in a dark parking lot, and a stranger menacingly approaches you, I hope you have a back-up plan.


Panic!

1 Comments:

At 12/01/2006 11:40 AM, Blogger Steve said...

Remember when Jimmy (my old car) had that loud exhaust problem at the same time we had a neighbor with a touchy car alarm? Every time I started my car with him parked near or behind me in the lot, it went off. And I think that was the semester I had four 8:30 classes.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home