Keeping up with The Jones

Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Sing like the saved

I’ve been getting up at 5:30 every day this week to go to the SI ferry terminal with Capt Steve and sing carols from a little after 6 to 9. This has made for some very long days, but has also been very rewarding.

I’ve been singing carols at Salvation Army kettles since I was 12. My dad is a big proponent of it. Even as I’ve gotten older and been away, he and I have maintained our tradition of singing on the last day of kettles (a tradition that will regrettably be broken this year).

The value of singing is quite obvious and fairly quantifiable: we raise more money (yes, believe it or not, people put money in the kettle when I sing). It also makes the time seem to pass more quickly, no small feat when you are stuck in one place for several hours.

But only in recent years have I realized the real value in singing these carols: we are preaching the gospel. In years past it’s been something I’ve often taken for granted, or at times even shied away from. I admit with some regret that years ago I was embarrassed to sing some of the extra stanzas. The first verses are so familiar, and everyone pretty much accepts them as christmasy. But some of those carols have other verses that get downright “religious”! Maybe even Christmasy!

“…our heavenly Lord, that hath made heaven and earth of naught, and with his blood mankind hath bought…”

“….from depths of hell thy people save, and give them victory over the grave…”

“….so God imparts to human hearts the blessing of His heaven. No ear may hear his coming but in this world of sin, where meek souls will receive him still the dear Christ enters in….”

“….cast out our sin and enter in, be born in us today….”

“….Holy Jesus every day, keep us in the narrow way…”

“….for sinners the silent Word is pleading. Nails, spear shall pierce him through, the cross be borne for me, for you…”


Today a security guard who has seen us the last few days made a donation and thanked me for the music. Then he made a comment whose full truth and significance may have been lost on him.

“You guys are singing your hearts out.”



Yes, we are.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home