Keeping up with The Jones

Sunday, December 10, 2006

Chivalry is not dead

I’ve had a lot of long days of late. Yesterday I was standing kettles at The Christmas Tree Shop, one of our coldest and windiest stands. At one point, a woman exited the store and her receipt blew right out of her hands. Since I’m the nicest guy you’re ever going to meet, I immediately sprang into pursuit. I was having some difficulty rescuing the damsels purchase record due to a number of factors:

1) The wind was strong but gusty, causing the paper to move quickly but unpredictably.
2) I was wearing thick gloves, reducing dexterity.
3) I was wearing ill-fitting dress shoes, reducing agility (I was in uniform for another stand later that night that required it, but crammed in double socks to keep warm in the mean time).
4) Even during the chase, I found the whole thing quite hilarious and couldn’t stop laughing.

Every time I thought I had it, it would skirt just past my grasp. I felt quite a bit like Wimpy trying to pick up his hat. Eventually I was too far from the kettle to continue, and had been passed by her male companion who eventually caught the paper prey. I’d like to tell you that my hustle at least secured me a donation, but the woman was already planning to give. In fact, it was in opening her wallet to do so that the receipt escaped in the first place.

1 Comments:

At 12/11/2006 1:31 PM, Blogger AaronG said...

did she have a "nice personality" because then it's not worth the effort -- let'em walk into doors and get their own receipts I say!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home