Keeping up with The Jones

Tuesday, March 13, 2007

(e)Mail time

I recently went online to purchase car insurance from Progressive. Geico was getting to be so expensive, only a caveman would pay for it. Yesterday in my inbox I received notice that while Progressive would love to insure me, they were “unable to confirm the garaging location provided on the application.” Basically, they needed proof of address.

Today I called the 1-800 number provided and was informed of the very narrow list of items this office could accept as proof. Not included on the list: pay stubs, cell phone bills, bank statements. I’ve had enough trouble proving my address even when these things were acceptable. Also not on the list: car registration, which would seem to be the one document that would matter, since this car is what I’m trying to insure.

Further prodding revealed that the address their background check provided was in Dartmouth, MA. This seemed entirely reasonable, since it’s only been almost six years since I lived there and I’m only living in my fourth home since that time. I won’t even begin to list all the bills I’ve paid and organizations I’ve registered with at these various other addresses during that time.

The good news is that I am now insured. I had to drive across town to a real person who would accept a pay stub and repeat the entire application process, but it actually saved me an additional $10. I don’t like to be troubled like this, but I’m a generous fellow, so I’ll just call us even.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home