Keeping up with The Jones

Sunday, April 08, 2007

Catching up

My blog was dormant all last week while my brother was in town with three Houghton students for a mission trip here in Staten Island. I'll try to post some happenings from their stay soon. But first...

During kettle season I derived a great deal of entertainment from watching commuters sprint across the ferry terminal trying to catch the boat. A week ago Friday, I understood their desperation for the first time.

That night our entire corps was joining corps from across the division at Madison Square Garden for the Greatest Show on Earth. I love the circus and was looking forward to going. The only problem: that was the very night my brother was to arrive with the students. I wanted to be here to meet them.

Luckily they were scheduled to get in late enough that I could go to the show and only have to leave a little early to get back in time. When it got to be about 9:40, I decided I should probably leave and try to catch the 10 o’clock ferry. I slipped out of my section and headed for the nearest escalator. The only problem: both escalators connecting my floor to the one below were running up. I quickly headed to the next escalator section: One running up, one turned off.

I ran down the one that was off only to be greeted by two upward running escalators the next floor down. I quickly sought help. The first usher mumbled something about elevator D. While in search of the perhaps mythical elevator, I encountered another usher who wondered why I would want to leave before the show was over. Apparently you need a note from your mom to leave the circus early. I offered the most succinct explanation I could and was directed to a nearby staircase.

The staircase eventually led me to an exit on a different side of the Garden from the one I entered, and I had no idea where the subway was. I glance at my watch: 9:45. I ran two blocks and started to give up hope of catching the boat. Then I looked to my right and saw the station. I ran inside just as the express train arrived.

Riding the express I kept checking my watch. I knew it would be close. We pulled up to the stop where I needed to transfer to the local at 9:55. Less than a minute later the train arrived. As we pulled up to South Ferry station, it was 10:00 on the dot. Everyone shifted towards the doors in anticipation.

The doors opened and pandemonium ensued. We bottlenecked to the bottom of the first staircase where one obese gentleman was moving as fast as he could, clearly stood no chance of catching the boat, but was nonetheless blocking half the staircase. I swerved around him and hit the main floor running. I bounced through the turnstile and headed for the stairs up to the ferry. Everyone was sprinting, but some were running out of gas. I flew up the stairs behind an erratic gentleman a half step slower, trying to keep my pace and balance.

As we approached the counters, this same gent swerved back and forth, unable to pick a path as I tried to navigate behind him. Still going full force, I saw that one door had already closed, and the other was two thirds there. Halfway across the terminal, I saw the giant digital clock tick to 10:01. The DOT doorman looked at us and shrugged.

DON’T CLOSE THE DOOR!
DON’T CLOSE THE DOOR!!
DON’T CLOSE THE DOOR!!!

Made it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home