Keeping up with The Jones

Thursday, April 12, 2007

Delayed gratification

Last night I was able to check another item off of my list of athletic achievements to accomplish before I die. Actually, no such list exists, but if one did, this would most certainly be on it: played pickup basketball with a Harlem Globetrotter.

The game in question didn’t occur last night, and the Globetrotter in question wasn’t actually a Globetrotter at the time of the game. But last night it was brought to my attention that a guy I once played pickup ball with in college went on to become a Harlem Globetrotter in 2003.

If you know anything about Houghton basketball, you know the extreme unlikelihood that anyone associated with it would go on to achieve such lofty heights. I attended every home game I could during my four years and witnessed exactly one victory.

I still remember playing that pickup game. I remember being very excited about the prospect of watching this guy play for the Highlanders. He was easily the best ball handler I’ve ever seen, pulling moves I never even thought physically possible, much less legal. He could often be seen running around the track, honing his craft by dribbling two tennis balls between his legs with each alternating step. Unfortunately, I think he got injured, because I never once saw him play for the team.

But today we salute Seth Franco, the pride of Houghton basketball.

2 Comments:

At 4/14/2007 7:42 AM, Blogger AaronG said...

Question:

Since you admit to struggling with content and postings because of Bweinh.com, why don't you post the beginnings of your articles on your website and link to the full article on Bweinh. Bweinh is a good site. I likes it alot. Just a thought.

 
At 4/14/2007 3:23 PM, Blogger jdjones said...

I'm glad you're enjoying bweinh.com. I certainly enjoy writing over there. While it does drain my writing resources, I'm still trying to maintain something personal here. I might try your idea, or something like it in the future however.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home